Monday, December 27, 2010

Math and MaryAnne

I have a dressform I've named MarryAnne. She is most often used as my coat and scarf rack but when it comes to making patterns, she is very helpful.

There are two common forms of making a garment pattern:
Flat -- you start with a beginning basic pattern, work on a flat surface and use varied tools along with math. 
Draping -- you use a dressform to shape a pattern with large sheets of pattern paper (I use tissue paper), pins and scissors.

Since I have so much regard for math but also enjoy working three-dimensionally, I make patterns using both pattern-making forms... "Math and MarryAnne"


For my Christmas card picture this year I wanted to make a jacket. This gave me the chance to take a few pictures of the pattern process.

I didn't have the time to fully produce my pattern with lining and so I made a jacket out of wool felt. When you buy a wool blended felt and then wash it in hot water, it creates a fun marbled texture. (If you plan to wash your garments after you make it, it is very important to wash the fabric before you cut the pattern pieces =) Felt fabrics don't fray, thus leaving cuts crisp and no need to secure with sewing. That also allowed me to creatively put several seams facing outward. Luckily for me, wool felt is warm since it was 34 degrees out when we took my pictures!

I'm saving the Christmas card picture for a later post =).

No comments:

Post a Comment